How often should I get tested after needle prick?

I pricked my finger while piercing a friends ear. I went to my NP and had a HIV and Hep test done. It came back negative and now I am going for my 6 month test. My NP says because of the needle prick I should continue to get tested yearly because it can lay dormant. I am in a monogamous relationship and thought that after being tested at 6 month if you are negative you no longer need to be tested? Also the person ear I pierced tested after the incident and was negative. Can it really lay dormant for years before it shows positive on a test?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I think you need to find a new doctor. HIV does not lay dormant. You can get an accurate and conclusive test at 90 days.

In health,

Richard

Insertive oral sex
Oral sex question, 3rd time asking- please answer and put my mind at ease.