The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can HIV test be wrong

Jan 26, 2013

can HIV test be wrong....a year ago we tested negative with my wife....but now the test shows positive.. and we have never been with anybody apart from ourself only.. please help..?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. False-positive test results are possible. If your wife was pregnant at the time she took her test that could be causing her positive result. Pregnancy can induce cross-reacting nonspecific antibodies that can lead to indeterminate or false-positive HIV-antibody test results.

If this was an ELISA test, then the two of you should most certainly go in for a Western Blot. A Western Blot is the gold standard for HIV testing and is always done as a confirmatory test when there is a positive ELISA.

If the Western Blot does come back positive then you would be considered HIV positive. If you have a positive ELISA and a indeterminate Western Blot then your doctor would look at your history to determine if transmission was likely.

In the event of a confirmed HIV diagnosis, please know that HIV is not a death sentence. With proper medical care, a commitment to your health, and a positive attitude you can expect to live a long and productive life. Our Just Diagnosed section offers a wealth of knowledge and will be helpful in the event that you need it. Good luck.

In health,


Living with HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint