Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

rapid test accuracy after protected sex
Jan 24, 2013

Hi Dr. Wohl, On 11/27/12 I had protected vaginal sex with a man of unknown status. He used a latex condom (from start to finish and no breakage). He also pulled out before ejeculating. I took a 3rd generation Unigold rapid test by Biotech (finger stick) 7 weeks to the day after this incident, the result was negative. The woman that administered my test assured me that it was not necessary for me to retest. She also told me that this test was conclusive at 21 days. I called the cuatomer service number for Biotech and the man I spoke to assured me that at 7 weeks there is no need to retest. What is your opinion. ? Do you think that I should retest at 12 weeks ? I realize that the incident itself was low risk but...I guess I'm paranoid. Thanks for your time and advice !

Response from Dr. Wohl

There was no risk here so I would not retest. Your risk of a false positive HIV test (which would unnecessarily freak you out) is higher than any risk (zero) that this event led to HIV infection.

DW

Previous
your answer about "not a worried well"
Next
dear dr. wohl

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.