Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I have VIH?
Jan 24, 2013

I used to use condon in all my sexual relations(only practice heterosexual)

I dont have sexual relations from January 1, 2011. But this year(2012) in Octuber 13th, i got ill(with fever, pharyngitis). In 31th Octuber, The doctor told me I had Citomegalovirus and Toxoplasmosis(Toxoplasma IgM 1.15, Citomegalovirus IgM 1.12 e IgG 1.13) But my defense were ok(thats my doctor said, because test before)

segmented:6328/mm3(56%) lymphocytes:4520/mm3(40%) monocytes:452/mm3(4%) leukocytes: 11300/mm3 erythrocytes: 4 430 000/mm3 platelets: 240 000/mm3 hemoglobin: 13.3gr/dl hematocrit: 40% VCM:89.4 HCM:30 CCMH:33.6

Even so, I got nervous because it is the first time i listened about this illnes so i told doctor to take me more tests. So I took Elisa(HIV 1-2)test, Herpes 1 test, Herpes2 test. These tests were token 21 November 2012. The results were: Elisa nonreactive, Herpes 2 nonreactive, Herpes 1 reactive. For this last one i never had this ill, only in Setember 2012 i had sptos inguinal(1 month before to get sick for citomegalovirus and toxoplasmosis). I had this sptos for one month and a half.

I only had two weeks and a half with fever(until 38), pharyngitis, but today (10 Weeks later) i only have rhinitis and three weeks ago my adenoids were infected. But Today is ok.

So my question is, do I have HIV? My doctor told me not and not be worried. Is it ok have cytomegalovirus and toxoplasmosis with these symptoms(i read some cases is ok) and period (here i dont have information, but my doctor says it could be 3-6 months)? is it right?

My work is very stressful and when i got ill i was hardworking. this day (13 octuber)i woke working 30 hours continualy.

For the stresfull in 2010, i got menier illness. But i dont have it from last year.

Please i need your opinion, thanks. Because I am very nervous about it.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Your HIV test is negative so you do not have HIV infection. CMV is a common virus that most people get exposed to some time or another in their lives. Once someone is infected, it stays or life but generally causes problems only if a person's immune system is weakened by an infection or medication. I see no reason to think that CMV is causing any of your symptoms.

Toxoplasmosis is a parasite that is also common in many regions of the world. About 80% of people in France have antibodies to toxoplasma. It too can cause disease with immune problems but also sometimes can cause symptoms when a person is first infected.

So, I would not worry about immune system problems or HIV.

DW

Previous
Still not Undetectable
Next
HIV-2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.