what are my risks?

Hi, I am worried sick and need some help. I can't think straight about anything else at the moment. I have been with my partner for a year. We both decided to have a threesome on two seperate occasions with two different guys. We performed oral sex and received oral sex. There was no other sexual activity. Both instances were about two months ago. Last week I had symptoms of gonorrhea, git tested and they said it looked like it was gonorrhea so had the treatment. I am still waiting for all the other results to come back. My bf just had his test today but he had different symptoms, sore throat, fever, diorrhea and tiredness. Hr has been told by a specialist that it sounds like the symptoms of HIV. We are aware of risks, however we are both in a state of panic. What are our chances or contracting HIV through oral? This two week wait for results is going to be hell :( Thanks for any help.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there-

Oral sex is a very inefficient way to acquire HIV. The mouth does not contain the type of cells that HIV likes to infect. One study from Europe that followed couples where one person was HIV+ and the other HIV- failed to find a case of HIV transmission despite unprotected oral sex. Is it 100% impossible- no and certainly would be more likely in a setting in which one or both of you was infected with another STD. Feel free to browse our extensive articles on oral sex which are updated regularly. (http://www.thebody.com/index/safesex/oralsex.html). I'm sorry for the stress of waiting for the results- my guess is that your partners symptoms are no acute HIV but agree with testing as your provider suggested. Take care, LHW

HIV Test Results
Worried Mommy!!