Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dog eats HIV vomit - what about me???
Jan 21, 2013

Can I contract HIV from the vomit on my dog's facial fur? I live near an HIV-related hospice while I was talking to a patient there my dog ate her vomit [on the snowbank outside] I didn't realize what my dog was doing until after it happened and I don't think I kissed my dog's face right away but I would have been in contact with his jacket/fur until I went home and used my hair colouring gloves to give him a bath. I may be freaking out for nothing, but after all it is "body fluid" I really like that hospice and they can't exactly bleach the snow but I can't exactly bleach my dog either. Please respond.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You are absolutely freaking out for nothing. There is absolutely no risk from what you're talking about.

You can only get HIV when body fluid carrying HIV (e.g. blood, semen, breast milk, vaginal fluids) leaves a person's body and goes immediately/directly inside someone else's body. All of that must happen. In your case none of that did.

Honestly, I'm confused over where you're thinking that HIV could have come from in this situation. In what you're describing, there's no way for HIV to have some from a patient and get inside your body - directly or indirectly!

HIV is not an easy virus to get. It only happens in few specific ways: unprotected sex with penetration, sharing needles, mother to child transmission during breast feeding, and significant exposure to blood during an accident. Again, none of this happened in your situation.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Saliva as a lube in protected anal sex
Next
Do I need to test again?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.