Oraquick Oral Swab In-Home HIV test (12 weeks & 13 weeks)

Dear Shannon

Thank you for your time and patience in answering questions on this forum.

I took an OraQuick Oral Swab In-Home HIV test at 12 weeks and another one at 13 weeks post potential exposure. Both resulted in only 'C' line and no 'T' line (negative). Could I consider these test results conclusive or should I go for ELISA testing too? The reason I am afraid is because I have swollen neck nodes for the last three weeks and I had rash (upper back) from week 1 to week 8 of potential exposure.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Hi First the guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days if this test is negative than so are you. Second, for the home test, the line in the C means the test was run correctly and no line in the T means it is a negative result. at 90 days this is conclusive. There is no need for further testing if there have been no other exposures during the 90 days.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are testing for HIV you obviously feel you put yourself at risk, meaning other sexually transmitted infections are possible. Having your HIV test come back negative thus far is a good sign but the test does not pick up other STI's. If your symptoms continue I would encourage you to follow up with your health care provider for evaluation.

Be well, Shannon

Am I at risk for Hiv or hep c?
Shannon's advice needed (you are the best!)