Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oraquick Oral Swab In-Home HIV test (12 weeks & 13 weeks)
Jan 16, 2013

Dear Shannon

Thank you for your time and patience in answering questions on this forum.

I took an OraQuick Oral Swab In-Home HIV test at 12 weeks and another one at 13 weeks post potential exposure. Both resulted in only 'C' line and no 'T' line (negative). Could I consider these test results conclusive or should I go for ELISA testing too? The reason I am afraid is because I have swollen neck nodes for the last three weeks and I had rash (upper back) from week 1 to week 8 of potential exposure.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi First the guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days if this test is negative than so are you. Second, for the home test, the line in the C means the test was run correctly and no line in the T means it is a negative result. at 90 days this is conclusive. There is no need for further testing if there have been no other exposures during the 90 days.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are testing for HIV you obviously feel you put yourself at risk, meaning other sexually transmitted infections are possible. Having your HIV test come back negative thus far is a good sign but the test does not pick up other STI's. If your symptoms continue I would encourage you to follow up with your health care provider for evaluation.

Be well, Shannon

Previous
Am I at risk for Hiv or hep c?
Next
Shannon's advice needed (you are the best!)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.