Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very serious breast milk health risk...Heeeeeeeelp!!
Jan 13, 2013

I am currently working as a midwife at a clinic, which has to do with mothers who have infants. My job is squeezing breast milk from patients, and I also give them breast massages using my bare hands, which is done strictly for medical purposes.

A couple of days ago, I had gotten a small open cut on my thumb while working, and didn't notice it, so I kept working without any protection. I'm afraid it was exposed to fresh breast milk.

When we have a patient with mastitis, then we must squeeze for almost an hour continuously. It's possible the cut had been covered with milk for the duration. On that particular day, I had 5 to 6 patients whose status for Hiv, Hep A, B, C, and HTLT was unknown, and had given them treatments for a total of approximately two hours. If they are carriers with any of the viruses that I had mentioned earlier, then is it also possible to get infected from breast milk with just a small, recently open cut on my thumb, which only contained a small amount of blood?

I am aware that the amount of viruses contained in breast milk is much less than blood, and if they are infected, then they probably haven't chosen to breastfeed, however I'm still very concerned. What exactly is the probability that I could be infected, or exposed to any transferable disease, or illness? Hopefully, there is someone out there, who can help to ease this troubled mind. Thank you again for all of your help, and advice.

Response from Dr. Wohl

If the cut was small I would not worry. If this was more than a scratch, I would say there is a risk here given the fairly extraordinary circumstances. I would report to your occupational health office for an assessment and undergo testing for HIV and HCV now and again per protocol in a few weeks. As a health care worker you should have already been vaccinated for HBV. Antibodies can be checked to determine if you are immune. I would not be worried about any other infections.

DW

Previous
Dr David wohl i need your help pls advice to me!!!!
Next
Worried mom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.