Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Broke condom, used PEP, and broke a again when I had sex with my wife
Jan 13, 2013

Dear all. Wednesday of last week (9 days ago). I had sex with a sex worker, i noticed that condom was broken when I ejacuated. I immediately use PEP after two hours later. Nine days I potentially exposured HIV (still use PEP) I had protected sex with my wife and broke the condom again, I am so worried that my wife has any change of infection, should she need to use PEP like me.

Response from Dr. Wohl

PEP is designed to reduce your risk of HIV infection after an exposure. It does not make that risk zero. Therefore, it is possible if the stars cross that you could have been infected and been infectious when you had sex with your wife.

My advice is to let her know immediately so she too can have the option you had regarding PEP and so she can get tested. Also, further testing could be done for you to determine if you have evidence of actual HIV in your blood by using a p24 antigen test or an HIV viral load test.

DW

Previous
Possible transmission
Next
high risk exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.