Cut from glass bottle at work
Jan 12, 2013
At work I cut my leg on a glass bottle. Someone at work had put a broken bottle into a bag, which I disposed of. As I was doing this the bottle cut my leg. It was a beer bottle to be specific.
Am I at risk of infection, like HIV, hepatitis or any other serious diseases?
Response from Mr. Glenn
Thanks for your question,
There was no risk for HIV. We know that because HIV dies quickly after leaving the body.
As for something like Hepatitis B or C, there would only be risk if someone cut themselves with that bottle before throwing it away. But what is motivating you to ask that question?? What there any blood on it that you saw? If not, that's the same as worrying that a poisonous spider will bite you in your sleep or that you'll get hit by lightning on a sunny day. In the end, what kind of evidence do we have to even make us curious that something like that would happen?
In the end, you were there and saw the bottle so have much more information that me. All I want to make sure you know is that without evidence, there's nothing really saying that there was risk.
Hope this helps!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.