Should I be worried?

Hi Dr., I am not sure if I should even think twice about this but here it goes. A guy started to perform oral sex on me but I made him stop 3-5 seconds into it. I am afraid I put myself at risk of HIV. Is this something I should test for? Did I put myself in danger? I'm scared only because its been two weeks after this event and I have flu like symptoms and I think my groin lymph nodes are swollen. I am so scared and I can't sleep. I've been told that I wasn't at risk but I've read a lot on the Internet and I hear the contrary. Please help me. I'm going crazy and I feel as if my life is over. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there Oral sex is a very inefficient way to acquire HIV (especially an episode that lasted only 5 seconds!). The mouth does not contain the type of cells that HIV likes to infect. One study from Europe that followed couples where one person was HIV+ and the other HIV- failed to find a case of HIV transmission despite unprotected oral sex. If you remain worried you can certainly get tested for HIV- I am sure you will be negative however. By 4 weeks after the encounter, antibodies to HIV are typically detected by standard HIV tests. Please be aware that syphilis, herpes simplex virus, and gonorrhea can certainly be transmitted by oral sex. Take care, LHW

11 day test
6 month test