11 day test

I have started Atripla for PEP and am 5 days in. My doctor wants to give me an RNA test after 11 days, which I am not against. He however says that if it is negative then I can stop the Atripla. How accurate can an RNA test be if I am on Atripla? Everything I have read states that you must complete the 28 days treatment in order to give PEP a chance to work. I suppose my main concern is whether the RNA test is accurate while I have Atripla in my system.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there

Because not enough is known for certain about how PEP may or may not affect the body's normal ability to produce antibodies, should the medication fail and infection occurs, testing guidelines around when to test post PEP vary greatly.

My current recommendation for persons using PEP is that they test at 6 weeks, 3 & 6 months post exposure with a standard antibody test or antibody/ag combination test. I should say that I have not seen a case where a negative test at 3 months post PEP changes with further testing. As such, further testing is simply a precautionary measure.

I do not know of data stating that the if the VL load is negative at 11 days that you can stop PEP so I would agree with continuing the full 28 course.

Take care, LHW

drink water
Should I be worried?