nPEP only 10 days? (According to ER doctor I went to)

I went to a Dr today to get PEP after exposure from a condom breakage (I'm a top and was have anal intercourse with another male who is hiv positive).

The doctor prescribed me lamivudine and zidovudine (only). and gave me a prescription for only 10 days.

I told him that I read that PEP should be 28 days and he said "No, 10 days are the new guidelines because the side effects are too harsh and 10 days is sufficient to stop exposure".

I asked him to print information for me that confirms this and he said he could not find it but knows those are the new guidelines.

Should I go to another doctor and get a full 28 day precription? I have checked ALL over the internet and have not found a single source that says PEP is only 10 days.

Please help!

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- You are correct, the recommended treatment regimen for PEP is a full 28 days and I would suggest seeing another doctor to get the additional course of your regimen. Feel free to read more at http://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/post-exposure-prophylaxis/

Take care, LHW

Please Doctor assess my risk....
CHEMILUMINESCENCE (QML)