Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV symptoms and positive results
Jan 6, 2013

Hi, I had rashes 6 weeks ago and still I have them. My lymph nodes and arm pit and groin are swollen. When I had my first test after 4 weeks the test was negative and I already had the seroconversion rashes. Is it possible that someone have all the HIV symptoms and still be negative. Please do answer ASAP as I am very worried.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi With HIV testing there is what we call a window period. This is why we tell folks the guideline for testing is to be initially tested at 3 weeks and then again at 90 days. If the 90 day test is negative and there have been no other exposures during that time then you are HIV free. The important thing to remember is this window period. You can be positive the whole time and it now show up til close to the 90 day period. Because what they are testing for is your body making antibodies against the virus and everyone's body develops these at different rates. Which is why we call this the window period, you can be positive and able to infect others and have negative results on your test. But at the 90 day mark again as long as there have been no other exposures the results of the test are conclusive.

Be well, Shannon

Previous
Can I be newly infected by another strain of HIV?
Next
HIV transmission concern

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.