Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I be newly infected by another strain of HIV?
Jan 6, 2013

I'm a female. I recently met a really hot bi sexual man on hiv dating web site. He insist that we have sex without a condom. Sigh. I'm afraid I know the answer.. I'm hiv+ 20+ yrs and I've had to really work at it you know... Can he and I re-infect each other with each others particular hiv?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Yes you sure can! The reinfection is more of a fear of developing resistance to the medications. If there is resistance with yours or his virus and you infect one another you can then develop a strain that is resistance to the medications that you are on. If you both have undetectable viral loads this is less likely to happen, but can. We all have just so many choices of medications and to do something that could take away the effectiveness is careless.

Be well and stay safe! Shannon

Previous
Paranoid and anxious
Next
HIV symptoms and positive results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.