Can I be newly infected by another strain of HIV?

I'm a female. I recently met a really hot bi sexual man on hiv dating web site. He insist that we have sex without a condom. Sigh. I'm afraid I know the answer.. I'm hiv+ 20+ yrs and I've had to really work at it you know... Can he and I re-infect each other with each others particular hiv?

Hi Yes you sure can! The reinfection is more of a fear of developing resistance to the medications. If there is resistance with yours or his virus and you infect one another you can then develop a strain that is resistance to the medications that you are on. If you both have undetectable viral loads this is less likely to happen, but can. We all have just so many choices of medications and to do something that could take away the effectiveness is careless.

Be well and stay safe! Shannon

Paranoid and anxious
HIV symptoms and positive results