Dear Shannon; Lymph node question

Hi Shannon. First let me say that I think it is a great thing you're doing here. I am an avid reader of the forum just looking to expand my own info on hiv itself and the time you take to answer so many questions is impressive.

I guess I have two questions for you with regards to hiv and lymph nodes.

1) During any stage of hiv is lymph node swelling most often generalized? I've read medical notes that say if only a single lymph node is swollen it usually points to a more localized issue instead of a generalized one. Is that true?

2) Everyone's body reacts differently to the disease but during ARS they say that the body has swelling everywhere similar to mono or other diseases like that. All sources usually say it is the worst flu ever. My question is would that swelling during ARS be visually noticeable...would it really stand out I mean?...nodes and all?

Thank you for your time!

Hi Thank you for you question and kind words.

Lymph node swelling throughout the body of someone living with HIV is very common and not all lymph nodes are noticeable. Everyone responds to an infection differently, just some folks can get knock out by the flu and others it keeps them down for a few moments. I never had flu like symptoms when I seroconverted and I have worked with others who had to be hospitalized.

Confused about my status.
Paranoid and anxious