The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dear Shannon; Lymph node question

Jan 6, 2013

Hi Shannon. First let me say that I think it is a great thing you're doing here. I am an avid reader of the forum just looking to expand my own info on hiv itself and the time you take to answer so many questions is impressive.

I guess I have two questions for you with regards to hiv and lymph nodes.

1) During any stage of hiv is lymph node swelling most often generalized? I've read medical notes that say if only a single lymph node is swollen it usually points to a more localized issue instead of a generalized one. Is that true?

2) Everyone's body reacts differently to the disease but during ARS they say that the body has swelling everywhere similar to mono or other diseases like that. All sources usually say it is the worst flu ever. My question is would that swelling during ARS be visually noticeable...would it really stand out I mean?...nodes and all?

Thank you for your time!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Thank you for you question and kind words.

Lymph node swelling throughout the body of someone living with HIV is very common and not all lymph nodes are noticeable. Everyone responds to an infection differently, just some folks can get knock out by the flu and others it keeps them down for a few moments. I never had flu like symptoms when I seroconverted and I have worked with others who had to be hospitalized.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Confused about my status.
Paranoid and anxious

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint