Re: Dear Shannon - please answer - swollen elbow node

Dear Shannon

Wish you a very happy new year!

Thank you for your encouraging words during my previous post (I am reproducing below for your reference). I developed swollen neck nodes since (doctor confirmed neck nodes were swollen) and was a bit scared so got a Oraquick oral swab test today (12 weeks). Result came out negative. I know it is a recurring question you might have - do you think it is sufficient for me to move on?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Best regards

Dear Shannon - please answer - swollen elbow node Dec 9, 2012

Dear Shannon

Thank you for the wonderful work you and your colleagues are doing in answering questions on this forum. Thank you in advance for your patience in anwering mine.

I am male, 33. Had vaginal and oral sex with a CSW in Madrid(with condom & did not see it broken) on 11-Oct. Had mild sore throat and fever between 13-Oct and 18-Oct. From 18-Oct (1 week), I developed a burning / prickly rash on my upper back - which has been there ever since. Sometimes I also see large red blotches all over my back (they look painted because they do not change color even on applying pressure). Since 29-Nov (8 weeks), I have noticed that my left elbow node is considerably swollen and prominently visible. I am very very scared.

1. I have read HIV ARS can feel like burning sensation on upper back - please advice if it can start as soon as 1 week from exposure and last for almost 8 weeks.

2. Does my swollen elbow node (it has remained swollen for 1 week now) cause alarm?

3. I am terrified I might be the first person to have been HIV infected after having protected sex. What are the chances?

Please Shannon, could you reply?

Thanks a ton!

Response from Ms. Southall Hi Thank you for the kind words, you are why we do what we do! We want to answer your questions!

Your risk of HIV transmission was protected and so the risk of HIV transmission is almost non existent. There is no guarantee but the likelihood of transmission is not likely when having protected sex.

I would recommend that you follow up with your healthcare provider if your symptoms continue. I do feel confident in saying that this is not HIV but you want to ensure there is nothing else going on with you.

Hi I'm glad to hear that you felt encouraged by my answers and more so after this answer. The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days, if the test is negative than so are you.

risk of woman contracting HIV from frottage
second time of asking please answer