Taking PEP incorrectly?

Hi Dr.

I recently was at risk of HIV and prescribed PEP treatment of 1 Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofivir dosproxil fumarate) and 1 Efavirenz tablet nightly before bed for 30 days.

4 days away from completing the treatment, I now reflect on my actions and think there may be some factors influencing the medication: 1. Fearing I had to take the tablets as soon as possible, I took my doses as soon as I got them (about 40 hours post-exposure), which was at about 5pm in the afternoon. That night I had 2 drinks and then took another 2 tablets before bed, at about 1am the next morning... Would taking a double dose like this, with some alcohol interfere? 2. About 15 days into the treatment, I did not get home and take the tablets until 6.30am. It had been 32 hours since my last dose. 3. about 24 days into the treatment, I slept at another persons house and forgot my medication. I took them first thing the next morning. It had been about 34 hours since my last dose. 4. The doctor told me to take my doses 2 hours after my last meal. However I frequently had food minutes before my doses, Is this just to prevent nausea or does it interfere with the drugs? 5. 18 days into the treatment I started taking glucosamine sulfate tablets.

Do you think any of these circumstances influenced the effectiveness of my specific medication and if so what should I do now?

Thankyou.

Your diligence is impressive. I would not worry at all about any of these events. The medications you are taking last a long time in the blood and the cells and are generally forgiving of minor deviation.

could i have aids
12 weeks is too long! Help!