hiv urine test

hello dr shannon, i already done 2 test at 12th&19th antibody 1/2 test both are negative but still im worried too much but this is my sixth month but i cannot do test bcoz i am in a village my question is i can send my urine through my friend for hiv test how confident is this urine test? kindly give your information for urine test .thank you

Hi Your question made me do some research as I have not heard of urine testing for HIV. It has been an approved test since 1996, but the accuracy is not the same as blood or the oral rapid test. It does test for the antibody against HIV which is what all the test are looking for, but it's not as detectable in urine. Depending on what your exposure was I could better assess your risk and give you a better answer to the accuracy of the test. With the research that I did I would say that the urine test is a good option but if you have access to getting a blood or oral test that would be my recommendation. As for testing guidelines for HIV: be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days if this test is negative then so are you!

Inserting penis into vagina but with no actual penetration
dear shannon