Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

May have masturbated with hiv+ semen.
Jan 1, 2013

Hello, I've been dating my partner for almost a year. We've had a few slips, he's given me his meds to take for 3 days and I've been fine. His viral load is undetectable. Today, I performed oral sex on him and had him ejaculate on my face. No big deal. But i think i may have gotten summed of his semen on my hand then masturbated. What is the risk of becoming infected? I know being undetectable only measures the viral load in the blood and not semen, and that's why I'm worried. Also, the meds my partner is taking are Isentress and truvada. What's the risks of me taking them as a preventive measure?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi We know that if someone has an undetectable viral load the HIV transmission risk reduces by up to 96%. HIV dies once it is outside of the body and is unable to infect. So from the time he ejaculated on you and you took the semen to masturbate the virus began to die, that which was there because of his viral load being undetectable and also take into account if you don't have any sores or cuts on your penis there is only one place for entry and you have semen coming out. So with all of that being said, the short answer is it is very unlikely for HIV transmission to happen this way!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
test at 26 week
Next
broken condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.