The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Dec 31, 2012

Hi doc, recently I had unprotected oral sex. Realising what I did, I went to A&E and was given atripla for 28 days and doxcycline. I only drank 3 days doxycycline but completed the 28 days atripla.I took a single dose Azithromoycin 2 weeks after the incident. I initiated the PEP 13 hours after the incident. If the person had any other STI beside HIV, do u think the PEP treatment will fail? I read that STDs such as clam, gon etc are easier to transmit HIV. So I am worried if the person had any STI and HIV then PEP might fail. Please help my confused mind.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There's a lot of detail to your question, so let me pull out the most important piece: your initial risk or rather your lack of risk.

PEP is usually prescribed when someone has a high risk exposure (like unprotected penetration sex) with someone who is suspected or known to be HIV positive. Oral sex, on the other hand, is extremely low risk. Another way of saying that is we don't really see HIV transmitted that way.

What I'm trying to say is that before even taking PEP, it'd be unlikely that you'd get HIV (even if the person giving you oral sex had HIV).

To your other point, having a STI can increase the risk of getting/giving HIV but has nothing to do with whether PEP succeeds or fails.

Hope all this helps! Remember to follow up with your doctors!


can anybody get infected from stool(shit)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint