PEP

Hi doc, recently I had unprotected oral sex. Realising what I did, I went to A&E and was given atripla for 28 days and doxcycline. I only drank 3 days doxycycline but completed the 28 days atripla.I took a single dose Azithromoycin 2 weeks after the incident. I initiated the PEP 13 hours after the incident. If the person had any other STI beside HIV, do u think the PEP treatment will fail? I read that STDs such as clam, gon etc are easier to transmit HIV. So I am worried if the person had any STI and HIV then PEP might fail. Please help my confused mind.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There's a lot of detail to your question, so let me pull out the most important piece: your initial risk or rather your lack of risk.

PEP is usually prescribed when someone has a high risk exposure (like unprotected penetration sex) with someone who is suspected or known to be HIV positive. Oral sex, on the other hand, is extremely low risk. Another way of saying that is we don't really see HIV transmitted that way.

What I'm trying to say is that before even taking PEP, it'd be unlikely that you'd get HIV (even if the person giving you oral sex had HIV).

To your other point, having a STI can increase the risk of getting/giving HIV but has nothing to do with whether PEP succeeds or fails.

Hope all this helps! Remember to follow up with your doctors!

Erik

suggestion
can anybody get infected from stool(shit)