Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it possible to get pregnant with no assitance
Dec 31, 2012

Hello, I have seen a few answers & questions.

However, I need help to see if possible to save a relationship.

I am a hetrosexual male that has been POZ since Dec 2006.

On the cocktail since 2008 (Truvada, Norvir, Isentras, and Preszta). I have NEVER missed a dose.

Today Dec 2012 I have the following: 775 T-Cells / Undetectable sincet the begining of 2009 / 44.1% (Keeps rising)

I get bloodwork done every 3 months.

My doctor says I am healthier than he is.

In numbers (i.e. 1 in 100,000 or 1 in 10,000) are the odds (numbers) for me the + and soon to be wife (she is -0).

She is having second thoughts because we both want children. She is having concerns even with the numbers I have.

C*****

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I can answer your question from the opposite manner, my husband is negative and I'm positive. We know from studies that someone who is on medication and has an undetectable viral there is a decreased risk of transmission by up to 96% and of course throw a condom on there and you are at as close to 100% as you can get.

There are couples in your situation who have had children and they are HIV free. There are a few options, one is the natural way, yes possible if again viral load is undetectable, there is sperm washing a little expensive but they are able to run your sperm through a process that cleans it of over 99% of HIV and then there are the other options that don't use your sperm. Artificial insemination or adoption.

All of these options should be discussed with your health care provider and I also encourage a mental health provider for both of you. Just to have someone to talk with through the options and the discussion around the decision.

It is possible to have a happy and healthy family with one or both partners being positive.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
I'm scared
Next
weak body test results pls answer!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.