Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Further advice on testing needed
Dec 30, 2012

Hi,

I had sex with several transexual prostitutes while on holiday. We both used condoms for both oral and anal sex but as I was drunk I cannot 100% say that the comdom did not split or come off on my final encounter, I am fairly sure it did not and am being paranoid but your mind plays tricks on you when you worry (which I am doing). Neither us came during this encounter.

I had a duo test at 13 days, the doctor at the clinic said it would not be conclusive as the test is not approved on that short a time scale but generally the test could detect Antigen after 12 days and would be roughly 95% accurate. He showed me the tests stats and graphs on his computer (I was negative on this test).

I had a PCR NAT based early detection test at the same time 13 days after the last encounter. This was also negative. The results took 4 days to come back.

I have also been tested by a seperate clinic for all other common STI's and these tests was also negative. They also did an hiv duo test which was negative (after 12 days).

Both doctors I saw and my GP said that from what I told them about using a condom and the fact the tests were negative means I am HIV negative. They said I should stop worrying and get on with my life. They suggested seaking a councilor which I have done.

I am a worrier and have sought counciling to get me over what is an extremely stressful situation. Its now 60 days since the last incident. Do you think I should take another test? or am I over doing it and taking a further test will just give me more stress waiting for the results. I am also paranoid about getting a false positive. The doctors I have seen have told me I don't need to but you are the experts.

I have not had any other risky episodes since and I have also made a donation towards Dr Bob's foundation because this site has been so helpful to me.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The testing guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days if this test is negative than so are you. With your experience including condoms than I agree with your doctors as well and I also encourage you to seek out the mental health counseling to help give you peace of mind and know how to move forward.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
giving felatio
Next
I m depress

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.