Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

5 weeks negative but i have fever
Dec 30, 2012

Hi all, its my first time posting here, I am in panic and so much stressed I need help. I engaged myself in unsafe sex with a man, whom I learned that his wife died of HIV 4 years ago. He told me about the death of his wife the first day we met and he told me he died of cycle cell-anemia I stupidly believed him, yes I know I wasnt supposed to believe him. I first slept with him on 01st October, he ejaculated inside, again on 05th October and he ejaculated outside After the last exposure on 05th October he insisted that he wants to have a baby with me so he insisted we go for HIV test, but before we went for a test few days later I came to realize that he was a liar as he was almost getting married to another woman, since then we stopped seeing each other. He got married on 27th October. One day, 06th November I was talking with my colleague at work that seemed to know him well and one of them said his first wife died of HIV, I panicked and started calling my close friends and told them, I also called the guy and asked why he did that, he said he is not positive, he said he is 120% sure that if I go to test I will be negative, he even said he is ready to go for a test with me, well I didnt want to listen to any more of his lies. on next day 07th November I called one of his relative and said its true his wife died of HIV, I asked my friend to accompany me to a health care for a test, if you count you will see thats 34 days, meaning 5 weeks after last exposure. The test came out negative, The counselor told me to stop worrying as five weeks enough to detect infection but I am going again for a second test in 3 months, now I have something like fever for past one week, not high but my head aches sometimes, my body temperature is not normal and I feel kind of weak, I havent rested for the past one month thinking and thinking, last week went to test for other viral infections as I noticed few black spots under my right armpit after shaving, I was worried but I tested negative for viral infections. Should I relax with my five weeks negative rapid test?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I'm sorry you have been through so much. The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days. If this test is negative than so are you. As someone who is positive and my husband is negative, if I were to die he would have to say that I died of complications of HIV quite possibly and it doesn't mean that he has it. There are lots of reasons to ask the questions of your potential partners and to know one another status before having unprotected sex.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
How safe is having blowjob/sex in strip clubs
Next
Risk of anus being licked

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.