STD Risk

Hi doc, recently I had unprotected oral sex. Realising what I did, I went to A&E and was given atripla for 28 days and doxcycline. I only drank 3 days doxycycline but completed the 28 days atripla.I took a single dose Azithromoycin 2 weeks after the incident. I initiated the PEP 13 hours after the incident. If the person had any other STI beside HIV, do u think the PEP treatment will fail? I read that STDs such as clam, gon etc are easier to transmit HIV. So I am worried if the person had any STI and HIV then PEP might fail. Please help my confused mind.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I am not sure why they would have prescribed you PEP or given you all of those antibiotics. Oral sex is a lower risk activity and by itself does not warrant PEP. As for other STI's, unless you were experiencing symptoms, or had an STD test come back positive, I am not sure why they were treating you.

To answer your question - If the other person had another STI, it would not effect the efficacy rate of the PEP, it would just likely mean that there was more virus present in their semen or vaginal secretions.

In health,

Richard

Could I be infected?
I'm infected? help