Lancet cut my finger, dad has HIV

While recently checking my dads (who is HIV undetectable) blood sugar, I Scraped the side of my finger with the lancet I used on him. I am not too certain if dads blood was on the lancet, however my finger did bleed. I immediately put a alcohol prep pad on my finger (just thinking it was the thing to do) what are the chances of contracting HIV? The hospital immediately put me on some medication that my dad is taking.

Hi The risk of HIV transmission this way is very small. First is because your dad has an undetectable viral load and we know that someone who has this decreases the risk of transmission by up to 96%. Secondly there would need to be a significant amount of blood present in order for transmission to occur. Placing you on meds is a good post exposure prophylaxis and I would continue with following your health care provider for monitoring but again feel this is a very low risk of transmission occurring.

I made an uninformed decision, and I hope not to regret it.
hiv