Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I made an uninformed decision, and I hope not to regret it.
Dec 28, 2012

I recently visited an Asian massage parlor for the first time and decided to engage in vaginal sex with the worker; stupid, I know. During the massage, an oil was used on my body and eventually made its way to my penis and her hands. At the time, I was unaware of the negative effects that oil can have on latex condoms. I did use a latex condom when engaging in the sexual act with the worker, and the condom did not break during the sexual act. This occurred two weeks ago, and I have had no ill-effects since the encounter.

Upon learning about the negative effects of oil on latex condoms my mind began to run wild with the possibility that I may have contracted HIV or another STD.

At this point, with no symptoms, what should I get tested for at this point? I have researched the HIV RNA tests and am thinking about going to get one, how valid are these style of tests? Should I get other tests as well? If so, what STDs should I get tested for?

I thank you in advance for your time in regards to this manner, it will be appreciated more than you may ever know.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You are correct that oils can damage condoms and it is why we strongly encourage folks to use water based lubricant. But the good news on your end is it did not damage the condom and kept you protected.

You are fine and would not be someone we would recommend testing to because you wore the condom and it didn't break.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Scratch on Scratch (Unusual, Very Specific Situation)
Next
Lancet cut my finger, dad has HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.