The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should i get test?

Dec 26, 2012

hello dr shannon i had a sex with sex worker i used condom but it was torn at the cumm time but i didnt take hiv test 6 months completed now but no more severe symptoms like flu or rashes but i had slightly headache and muscle tecnse i thought bcoz of my anxiety what is your advice dr shannon please tell me thank you..

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I'm sorry that your condom broke. First let me begin with 9 times out of 10 a condom breaks because it was put on incorrectly. Make sure that you pinch the tip of the condom to ensure there is room for fluid to go when you do you cum. Always throughout sex make sure you continue to ensure the condom is staying on. Anytime you have had unprotected sex or a condom failure this is considered an exposure and you should get tested. The guideline for testing is to be initially tested at 3 weeks and then again at 90 days as long as no other exposure happen during this time and your test is negative then so are you. The likelihood from your experience that there was a HIV transmission is small but because of the condom failure it is important to know your status. Also not everyone has signs and symptoms at the same time. Some could have them right away some can be years after, but testing will always show up within the window period, 3 weeks to 90 days.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

thrd tme postng my queston!!!!
HIV test (3rd time posting)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint