The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Yet another oral sex question

Dec 15, 2012

Ms. Southall,

I almost sure I know what you're going to say, but I'm going to ask anyway. I met a young lady through a dating service. Things got very hot between us on our first date and I performed oral sex on her for at least a half-hour. Nothing else happened as we didn't feel comfortable going any further. I have no reason to believe she has any diseases. Is testing for HIV recommended for this episode? And, in general, how risky is cunnilingus? I mean, I've never seen a dental dam and don't know where to find one. I don't think I put myself at-risk - just seeking some clarity.



Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Sol Your instincts are correct! Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission and so no getting tested from this experience is not something we would strongly recommend someone getting tested for! As for the dental dam, you can find them if you do some searching most especially at erotica stores. A great alternative to the dental dam is saran wrap! Just make sure it's the microwavable kind (because of the porous make to allow steaming)

Also remember that you cannot tell by how someone "looks" to decide their risk. Also not just HIV is possible transmission through sexual encounters. All of the other sexually transmitted infections are possible as well.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Dear Shannon, I need your help like never before
Am I at risk of HIV and STD

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint