Transmission question

Hi I asked a question a couple if days ago with no response. Slightly worried that I may have contracted HIV from my friend. My friend is HIV positive and cut herself and asked me to help. I put on gloves and help her dressed the wound.during this she had touched the scissors possible with blood on them. Amount a minute later I had picked up the scissors with out gloves to take them to the dishwasher. There was a small cut on my cuticle and no visible blood on my hand. I washed my hands but am still slightly worried! I'm too embarrassed to ask my friend

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

But there is absolutely no risk for HIV from your situation. Relatively speaking, HIV is a rather hard virus to get.. it only happens through a few specific ways because: to get HIV, there needs to be a body fluid that can transmit HIV (blood, semen, vaginal fluid, or breast milk) coming out of someone's body and going immediately/directly inside of someone else's body. Seriously, when would something like that happen?

That won't happen from indirect ways, like touching something that someone else touched. That also won't happen from simply touching one of the body fluids I mentioned before.. that fluid needs to literally get inside of you in a significant amount. That's why something like penetrative sex is risky, because someone's body part is inside someone else.

A "small cut on the cuticle" is NOT a sufficient opening into the body. If you mentioned a large cut that was bleeding then we would be talking about risk.

Please feel free to browse our archives for more information and please please please ask questions when you're unsure. We get a lot of questions over here so may not be able to get to them all, but there's probably very similar questions already posted that you can read.

Hope this helps!

Erik

thankful
might i have hiv? (2)