Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

when can i know for sure
Dec 12, 2012

My husband and I have been married three years. We were not tested before we started having sex and we never used condoms. Two months ago he had Herpes Zoster and the docotor recommended HIV testing. He tested positive. I took a blood test and tested negative. The last time we had sex was about three months ago. Am I still at risk and if so when will I know for sure if I am not infected? When should I take the test again?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I would feel confident in the results of your three month test. Going forward, I would suggest routine HIV testing. Every three months would be great, or at the very least, every six.

Going forward it will be important for the two of you to use condoms during all acts of penetrative vaginal or anal sex. This will be your best defense against transmission. You can also talk with your doctor (or perhaps your husband's) about having PEP on-hand. In the event of a high-risk incident such as a condom breaking and ejaculation being involved, PEP is a one-month course of HAART that can help reduce the likelihood of transmission. PEP must be started within 72 hours, and preferably within 24. Having the medication on-hand can make this course of action much more effective.

I'm sure this situation was a shock to say the least. I'm sorry for that. Magnetic couples (where one is positive and one is negative) flourish and thrive every day. Our old forum expert, Dr. Bob was himself in a magnetic relationship. Two sections on the website that you and your husband might find helpful are:

Mixed-HIV-Status Couples

Just Diagnosed

While this is certainly a new chapter in the book, the book is far from over. With patience, compassion, and understanding I am confident that the two of you will work through this situation together. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

Previous
sex with transexual prostitute
Next
about 100 days

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.