when can i know for sure

My husband and I have been married three years. We were not tested before we started having sex and we never used condoms. Two months ago he had Herpes Zoster and the docotor recommended HIV testing. He tested positive. I took a blood test and tested negative. The last time we had sex was about three months ago. Am I still at risk and if so when will I know for sure if I am not infected? When should I take the test again?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I would feel confident in the results of your three month test. Going forward, I would suggest routine HIV testing. Every three months would be great, or at the very least, every six.

Going forward it will be important for the two of you to use condoms during all acts of penetrative vaginal or anal sex. This will be your best defense against transmission. You can also talk with your doctor (or perhaps your husband's) about having PEP on-hand. In the event of a high-risk incident such as a condom breaking and ejaculation being involved, PEP is a one-month course of HAART that can help reduce the likelihood of transmission. PEP must be started within 72 hours, and preferably within 24. Having the medication on-hand can make this course of action much more effective.

I'm sure this situation was a shock to say the least. I'm sorry for that. Magnetic couples (where one is positive and one is negative) flourish and thrive every day. Our old forum expert, Dr. Bob was himself in a magnetic relationship. Two sections on the website that you and your husband might find helpful are:

Mixed-HIV-Status Couples

Just Diagnosed

While this is certainly a new chapter in the book, the book is far from over. With patience, compassion, and understanding I am confident that the two of you will work through this situation together. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

sex with transexual prostitute
about 100 days