Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help - in need of advice, guidance.
Dec 12, 2012

Hi,

About one year ago now I had one homosexual encounter (I am a straight guy who was drunk and curious.) I was drunk and, coming from a small town I didnt want to risk going with someone there incase I got caught out. So instead I went to a gay sauna in the city. I had unprotected oral, then protected anal for about ten minutes. For some stupid reason, for yhe final few minutes the guy put it in me with no condom. It wasbonly a few minutes and he did not come. Anyway since then I had a few daysstraight after the encounter where I was tired and depressed. I realise this could either be acute illness or just anxiety. It was then a few montgs later where things have moved on. For about the last few months I have had a chronic sinus infection, about 4 or 5 mild genital herpes recurrences (I had herpes prior to the encounter - it wasnt flaired up at the time) and swollen lymph nodes (or what I think are swollen lymph nodes) I've also had on and off diahhrea and mouth ulcers. So I guess my main quedtion is what do you think of my risk? And do my symptoms concur with what someone who is positive is likely to experience in the first 6months to a year? I'm 19 by the way, was 18 at the time of encounter and have always been healthy and athletic. Thank you so much for being there, its great to be able to talk to someone.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Unprotected oral is very low risk for HIV. Protected anal holds no risk for HIV.

In your case, it does sound like he was inside you without a condom. The thing to consider is that he was only in your for short period of time.. this makes the risk less than if he had been in your the whole time though.

It'd be a good idea for your to be tested for HIV and STDs (there are many local clinics around that can run tests hivtest.org can help you find somewhere). You'd want to wait three months after the sex you had. It's important for ALL SEXUALLY ACTIVE people to be tested on a regular basis, so you're jumping on board with this.

In the future it's very important to practice protected sex when there's penetration during your sex. If you have any questions about that feel free to send them over to us or check out the other questions here in the forum!

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
The common issue
Next
Slightly worried.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.