Risk of HIV Transmission

Hello and thank you for taking my question.

Recently I had gay sex with a man of unknown status. I was the insertive partner. We wore a condom but it broke and I do not know how long it was before I noticed (I think I noticed right away because I heard a popping sound and pulled out immediately, then put on a new condom). I know that the risk of contracting hiv as the insertive partner is relatively low when using a condom, but how great of a risk would i have been exposed to by this brief moment when the condom broke. Also, prior to having sex, he performed oral sex on me and occasionally scraped my penis with his teeth. I did not notice any cuts or blood after sex, but did notice some dry skin. I'm concerned that this may have furthered my exposure. This all happened last night, at what point do you recommend that I get tested (and re-tested). I'm not really sure what test my hospital does for detection but I believe they draw blood.

Thank you for taking the time for my question.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Given the situation you have described, I do not think your risk was that great. That being said, since the condom did break, feel free to go in for a test at 90 days. I am confident the test result will be negative. As an alternative, you can wait until your next regularly scheduled round of STD testing, as long as it is 90 days or more from the date of the incident.

In health,

Richard

If you've made an error in judgement - if you're going to Google symptoms, do it for "anxiety"
Worried Well?