sources of infection

one of my sex ed teachers when questioned about hiv and aids in homosexual relationships had said that either one or both partners could "develop" either hiv or aids making it sound like a clean non infected couple could spontaneously become infected. when i questioned him about this all he had to say is i has something to do with the mucus lining of the rectum and how it is a hotbed of viral infections " waiting to happen" his words not mine. i guess my question is is it possible for people to develop one of these illnesses even if them and their partner are clean and non infected

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. One partner MUST be infected with the virus for transmission to occur. Two uninfected partners cannot spontaneously create HIV. I would suggest printing this out and showing it to your teacher. I would also suggest that your teacher use TheBody.com as site for educating himself on how HIV is and is not transmitted.

In health,

Richard

mother to child transmission
Risk of Hiv Transmission through clothes