Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can you get hiv through basin water if you wear latex gloves and have paper like cut not bleeding?
Dec 9, 2012

I am a healthcare worker and an HIV patient of mine was giving herself a basin bath. I did not give her a bath, as she was able to do it herself and I was standing at least 5 feet away from her. However, I did empty the basin water and to be safe, I think I put my hand in the basin water to grab the wash cloth before emptying the basin, so that water did not splash in my face from the wash cloth falling out. Anyways, I had latex gloves on; however, later I noticed I had a paper like cut on my middle finger. What if the water leaked through the gloves and her vaginal fluids were in the water from washing her private areas and the water hit my cut? Am I at risk, I am so worried and am a hipochondriac. I have read posts similar to this with a woman coming in contact with bloody basin water and she had a paper like cut and was worried that the bloody water had went under her gloves and reached the cut and Dr. Bob responded and said that he would not have recommended PEP and it wasn't a real risk. I keep hearing that you can't get hiv from bath water and the virus dies once it hits the air and the water would dilute these fluids anyway. I was also thinking that even if there were vaginal fluids in the water, there probably wouldn't be much unless she vigorously washed the area. Please answer, I keep worrying and I think I'm being irrational, as I had latex gloves on.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I believe from reading your question you answered your question! You cannot get HIV in this manner. Also if you are a health care worker maybe what you can request from your HR department is an OSHA training class which includes universal precautions. This should calm your fears about getting HIV or any other infection from taking care of patients.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
12 weeks negative
Next
bleeding deep kiss with symptom repeated ear ache

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.