Dear Shannon - please answer - swollen elbow node

Dear Shannon

Thank you for the wonderful work you and your colleagues are doing in answering questions on this forum. Thank you in advance for your patience in anwering mine.

I am male, 33. Had vaginal and oral sex with a CSW in Madrid(with condom & did not see it broken) on 11-Oct. Had mild sore throat and fever between 13-Oct and 18-Oct. From 18-Oct (1 week), I developed a burning / prickly rash on my upper back - which has been there ever since. Sometimes I also see large red blotches all over my back (they look painted because they do not change color even on applying pressure). Since 29-Nov (8 weeks), I have noticed that my left elbow node is considerably swollen and prominently visible. I am very very scared.

1. I have read HIV ARS can feel like burning sensation on upper back - please advice if it can start as soon as 1 week from exposure and last for almost 8 weeks.

2. Does my swollen elbow node (it has remained swollen for 1 week now) cause alarm?

3. I am terrified I might be the first person to have been HIV infected after having protected sex. What are the chances?

Please Shannon, could you reply?

Thanks a ton!

Hi Thank you for the kind words, you are why we do what we do! We want to answer your questions!

Your risk of HIV transmission was protected and so the risk of HIV transmission is almost non existent. There is no guarantee but the likelihood of transmission is not likely when having protected sex.

I would recommend that you follow up with your healthcare provider if your symptoms continue. I do feel confident in saying that this is not HIV but you want to ensure there is nothing else going on with you.

Oral transmission
12 weeks negative