Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Indeterminate Western Blot
Dec 6, 2012

Hi,

I had sex with a condom 8 weeks ago an then unprotected sex with a different partner 7 weeks ago, extremely stupid I know. I went for my annual exam with my OBGYN 2 weeks ago and had an STD test done. I received a call to come into my OBGYN's office yesterday to discuss results. My doctor said that a western blot test had come back indeterminate with a weak p24 I believe. She then sent me for more tests which I have yet to get the results of. I spoke with the partner I had unprotected sex with and he said he had been responsible with his other partners and that he is now seeing someone who was tested 5 weeks ago and her results came back clean. I have had one previous pregnancy, could that make the western blot come back indeterminate? I am freaking out, any answers you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Wohl

An ambiguous HIV test result is nerve wracking but does not mean you are HIV infected. What is missing is whether the ELISA or EIA test was positive. One would assume it was as teh Western blot is not typically done unless these are first positive.

Hopefully, your clinic drew and HIV viral load. This test looks for the virus itself. If that is negative you are almost certainly not infected. A repeat Western blot in a month or so that remains indeterminate clinches this as false.

So, unfortunately, you must wait for the crucial viral load test.

DW

Previous
Oral sex after jaw implant surgery
Next
Am I infected; I am begging you to answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.