The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I Start PEP?

Dec 6, 2012

Dear Folks:

My friend and I were fooling around the other night and we decided to go all the way. I was the top and put on a condom. Just as I was entering him I noticed it felt different. I pulled out and the condom had broken. We stopped immediately and I went and washed with soap and water. I was in him for less than a minute. He is a responsible guy who gets regular testing and as of his last was negative. We are both getting tested later today as well. We are still in the 72 hour window. Should I ask for a PEP course? Thank you very much for your help.

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would say that the risk here was really low. For one thing, you were on top, so risk is less than if you were bottom. The exposure was brief.

Still, some would offer you PEP. If your partner tests HIV negative, that would be more reassuring altho if he has had any recent exposures one would need to consider whether he is himself in the window period when antibodies to HIV are not yet detectable. This is where the new combo HIV test helps as it looks for antibody and the virus.

So, probably best to start PEP, get tested and decide whether to continue if his antibody test is negative, recognizing that you can not rule be 100% sure he is HIV negative unless he has a combo HIV test or viral load drawn.


Condom broke at the begining of Gay Sex
Oral sex after jaw implant surgery

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint