post exposure prophylaxis

I had vaginal insertive intercourse with a woman who is a commercial sex worker, without a condom, in Phillipines. After the 3rd day, I met a doctor, who prescribed Atripla, which I started after 96 hours of contact. My question is that is this drug good enough if started on 4th day? Most studies mention it to be started with in 72 hours. Also should I continue it for 4 weeks as suggested by my doctor? Please respond soon.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) must be started within 72 hours to be effective. If possible, it should be started within 24 hours. With each passing hour its efficacy rate drops. At 96 hours it is unlikely that PEP would be effective. At this point, you could finish the course of treatment, there would be no harm in doing that, other than any potential side-effects you may be experiencing. If you are interested in stopping treatment, then I would suggest visiting an HIV specialist in your area, and get his or her opinion.

In regards to the risk, it is unlikely that a one-time incident of insertive vaginal sex would result in transmission, although it is certainly possible.

Go in for an HIV test at 90 days, and in the future be sure to use a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex. It's the best way next to abstinence to protect yourself against HIV and many STD's.

In health,

Richard

Unprotected Sex exposure with +ve women on meds
hiv from piercing