Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer, very worried!! :(
Dec 2, 2012

I had protected sex with a guy and the condom broke. We stopped as soon as we saw, but I'm not sure whether he penetrated me before we noticed or not, it's a bit unclear. We switched positions and I felt a bubble of air at the end of the condom, so when he touched it he realized it broke and I'm so confused about how it went down. What are the chances of me getting HIV?

5 days after that my tonsils got swollen and developed puss pockets, but I'm hoping it's from a common cold or some bacteria rather than a symptom of HVI?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi From what you have described it sounds as if the likelihood of transmission is very small but there. Not being sure when the break occurred and not knowing what his status is I think it is important to be screened for all of the sexually transmitted viruses.

The symptoms you describe sound as if it could just be the common cold, as signs of HIV infection would not start that soon.

Your best way to know your status is to receive testing. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 90 day period, if so then the timing starts over again.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Can acute infection starts soon as 5 days after possible exposure?
Next
Can acute infection starts soon as 5 days after possible exposure?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.