Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can acute infection starts soon as 5 days after possible exposure?
Dec 2, 2012

Hi,

I am a single gay male who doesn't have sex very often, but on 11/18/12 (Sunday) I had sex with another man I met online. We had protected anal sex and I was receptive partner. After about a couple minutes of protected intercourse, I had him pull out of me because his penis was much bigger than average and I needed a break. Also I was afraid that the condom could have broken, but I couldnt be sure that if it was broken or not, it appeared to me there was a hole on its tip, but I couldnt be sure. Then I decided not to pursue with the intercourse, I just removed the condom from his penis and masturbated him for three or four minutes until he ejaculated all over my hands. Here is my concern: five days (Thursday, 11/22/12) after this sexual encounter I seemed to notice some symptoms that may indicate acute HIV syndrome. I had extreme fatigue, headache, night sweats and muscle/joint pain for two days and a severe diarrhea that lasted five days or so. On the other hand, I didnt have any of the following symptoms: fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, skin rash, etc.

Here are my questions?

Is it possible for acute HIV infections symptoms to start as soon as 5 days?

Can a severe diarrhea per se be a signal of acute infection?

Once again, I had no fever at all (or any symptoms that seem to reflect the 'flu like' symptoms I am reading about). I only had diarrhea for 5 days and muscle/joint, headache and night sweats for 2 days.

I'm hoping its more down to the extreme anxiety.

Thanks.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi It is rare to have the type of symptoms that you are describing that soon and with having protected sex.

You may have just picked up another viral infection. Your risk of HIV transmission is small because of using protections but if you are seeking peace of mind from the experience. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 90 day period, if so then the timing starts over again.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
scared.........Am I at risk......?
Next
Please answer, very worried!! :(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.