Risk of HIV in fresh cut

Hi! I am a medical student.3 months ago i examine a patient for RBS.at that time my index finger has small laceration due to some other region.but after complete examination of this patient i suddnly found that two drops of his blood fall on my middle finger.i am not confirm that this drops touch my laceration on may index finger or not.and this patient was known case of HIV.so immediatly i start prophylaxis treatment.but i am very scare since 3 months.sir please tell me that what chance of i have HIV?I am very scare because after few months i have wedding.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Based on the information you have presented I would not be too concerned. Just coming into contact with blood does not mean an infection is likely to occur. The virus not only needs a portal of entry into the body (the cut), but it also must gain access to the bloodstream in a manner in which transmission is likely to occur. Unprotected penetrative sex, and sharing needles are two of the main ways that transmission occurs. Just having blood fall near your cut doesn't mean the virus can make it's way into your bloodstream.

It has been three months? You can get an accurate HIV test at the 90 day mark. You should go in for an antibody test. It will give you the answer you are looking for.

In health,

Richard

HIV partner and unprotected sex
HIV risk and fear