Dear Shannon, Give me your opinion!

Hello, I had sex with a sex worker whose status is unknown. I used a condom but there was a bruise on my penis after sex that frightened me. My results are:

1) RT-PCR for HIV RNA , 25 days after exposure > negative. 2) Elisa test on 22 days, Negative but I know it was pointless. 3) Elisa test on 58 days, weak positive (1.1 while the cut off was 1.0), and using the same blood sample the Western Blot was Negative.

I am very afraid. what is going on?

Hi The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks and then again at 90 days. If this test comes back negative then so are you.

Your history to this point is showing you are negative. Receiving a bruise during sex is not a risk for HIV transmission. There has to be a direct exchange of body fluid.

It sounds like you need peace of mind, get tested again at the 90 day mark and then you can move on from there. But again if there were no exposures and you just had a bruise this is not a risk of HIV transmission.

Who takes longer than 3 months??
HIV partner and unprotected sex