Hiv on speculum?
Nov 25, 2012
Is there a risk of Hiv infection if the doctor does not change the metal speculum(vagina) between two patients???
Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman
Hello there- I would say that this would depend on what procedures each woman was having (example- a regular pap smear would be rather non invasive compared to a biopsy or intra-uterine injection for fertilization). I have not heard of providers reusing speculums and if you have concerns I would talk with the doctor to find out their typical sterilization procedures and if you still have concerns - change providers. Take care, LHW
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Sore Throat An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Itchy Skin Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Burning Urethra After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Purple Spots After Fingering Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Can You Get Hepatitis From Oysters?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.