STD INFO

Thanks for your last reply to my question. Really appreciated and god bless you for that.My next question. Husband with hsv1 positive and wife, what are the chances of getting infected with hsv2. Is hsv1 more dangerous or hsv2 and why? Thanks

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- HSV1 and HSV 2 are different so you can't get one from the other. The primary difference between the two viral types is in where they typically establish latency in the body- their "site of preference." HSV-1 usually establishes latency in the trigeminal ganglion, a collection of nerve cells near the ear. From there, it tends to recur on the lower lip or face. HSV-2 usually sets up residence in the sacral ganglion at the base of the spine. From there, it recurs in the genital area. However, even this difference is not absolute either type can reside in either or both parts of the body and infect oral and/or genital areas. For example if your husband performed oral sex on you when he was having an outbreak of HSV1 on his mouth, you could get it on your genitals. Neither one is "better" or "worse" and neither is truly dangerous. The frequency of outbreaks should be discussed with your medical provider to determine if medication should be used. Hope this helps. Take care, LHW

Can you help me understand this?
Oral sex for about 10 mins. I need answers