Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

am at risk if exposed to hiv infected blood during delivery
Nov 25, 2012

i delivered a woman who was passing by neighborhood without gloves,however i used polyhene bags to bring the baby out but when i as cutting the cord,i used bare hands and had some blood spills on my hand,i wrapped the baby and observed her before i washed my huands wit soap.i trans ported mother and baby to the hospital only to be informed she is positive to hiv and on antiretroviral therapy,i am currently taking my post exposure prophylaxis eventhough her viral load was not checked.i cannot remember the blade giving me a cut but i could feel pain after sanitizing my hands at the hospital meaning i had some cuts on my hands which i cannot ascertain weather it was before,during or after that i sustained the cuts.i want to know what is my chances of getting infected and will the prophylaxis offer complete protection cos i started my PEP 5hours after exposure

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there What a good deed you did- it was very lucky that you were there to deliver the baby. I think your risk of getting HIV are very low for the following reasons: 1) you saw no active cut on your hands to indicate bleeding; 2) the woman was on ART and my guess (though I don't know for sure) is that her viral load was very low and hopefully undetectable since she was on medications presumably to decrease the chances of her baby being infected and 3) you started PEP within the suggested time period. I would recommend continuing the PEP for the full 28 days to be safe but I would rest assured that I think your risk is very low. Take care, LHW

Previous
Really confused about window term
Next
Can you help me understand this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.