Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

risks of hiv infection after insertive oral sex
Nov 23, 2012

Hey doc,I have been seeing someone for the last one month and we have had safe sex until "days ago when he penetrated me without a condom and ejaculated outside. I was scared and a few hours later I conviced him to get tested together and he turned out posive while I was negative,he didnt cum inside me so what are the chances of infection in my case? I am scared to death and I have sleepless nights ever since

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would be concerned. There could have been some exposure to pre-cum. At this point you are not a candidate for post-exposure prophylaxis with HIV medications as it has been days since your exposure.

You will need to get HIV tested again at 4 and 12 weeks after the exposure and get medical attention if you experience fevers, rash, or flu-like illness. Certainly, use a condom if having sex.

The good news is that chances are that you did not get infected with this one exposure but you do need to follow up as described above to be sure.

DW

Previous
EIA reactive - WB negative - RNA viral load undetectable
Next
Transmission by sucking breast

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.