Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Antibodies Production
Nov 23, 2012

Hi doctor,

I had a PCR RNA post 9th week and a Duo Combo test post 11/12th week after an latest unprotected heterosexual exposure, and both the results are negative.

I have a question about the antibodies' production after seroconversion. I know that the antibodies, once produced, will stay in the body lifelong. I just wonder if the antibodies are denatured or degraded by any cause, will our body generate them again and again?

I have this question because I suspect that if the antibodies are destroyed after seroconversion by any cause, then any HIV antibodies test after that will give false negative result. So my concern is whether our body will keep producing the antibodies lifelong or just once after the seroconversion just after the infection.

Thanks for your concern!

Chau

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Chau

Many people write to this forum with similar concerns that their negative HIV test results are, for some reason, false. Sometimes they question the test because their exposure was very risky, more often it is because of anxiety and guilt.

The HIV tests you mention work in two totally different ways and do not even look for antibodies to the virus. The PCR detects actual HIV genetic material and the combo test includes a method for detecting a protein on the surface of the virus. If these are negative, there is no virus in the blood. Period.

As to antibodies, evolution has made sure that when pathogens enter our bodies we make a response to them so we can survive them and respond even better next time we are exposed. This antibody response is long lasting and strong. There is no denaturing of HIV antibodies.

Your tests are negative and you do not have HIV.

DW

Previous
HIV through laser treatment
Next
how safe am i going to be ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.