who takes longer than 3 months?

Hello! I had unprotected vaginal sex with unknown status partner. I have had several rapid blood tests at 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 17.5 weeks. Some say this is conclusive, but the paper I receive with the results say to come back after 6 months? Why so many opinions out there? Its driving me insane! I don't know who to believe. I would like to stop testing and put this horrible experience behind me, do you think that is possible? Thank you for your answer.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You've already had all the tests you need to know if you got HIV from the sex you had. Answer: you didn't!

One of the reasons that you were encouraged to come back after six months was because they want you to start getting tested regularly. This is something that is encouraged of ALL sexually active people. There are also come places that are working with old information and are confused themselves over how long patients have to wait (it's only 12 weeks!).

They also suspect that someone who's had unprotected sex once may have unprotected sex again, so want to get testing on your radar. This isn't always fair (I know) and unfortunately can give the impression that you actually need to wait 6 months to get an accurate test (which isn't true!).

Hope this helps clear up all the confusion!

Erik

hiv transmission........
HIV through laser treatment