The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

who takes longer than 3 months?

Nov 22, 2012

Hello! I had unprotected vaginal sex with unknown status partner. I have had several rapid blood tests at 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 17.5 weeks. Some say this is conclusive, but the paper I receive with the results say to come back after 6 months? Why so many opinions out there? Its driving me insane! I don't know who to believe. I would like to stop testing and put this horrible experience behind me, do you think that is possible? Thank you for your answer.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You've already had all the tests you need to know if you got HIV from the sex you had. Answer: you didn't!

One of the reasons that you were encouraged to come back after six months was because they want you to start getting tested regularly. This is something that is encouraged of ALL sexually active people. There are also come places that are working with old information and are confused themselves over how long patients have to wait (it's only 12 weeks!).

They also suspect that someone who's had unprotected sex once may have unprotected sex again, so want to get testing on your radar. This isn't always fair (I know) and unfortunately can give the impression that you actually need to wait 6 months to get an accurate test (which isn't true!).

Hope this helps clear up all the confusion!


hiv transmission........
HIV through laser treatment

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint