Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is hand and feet peeling a sign of hiv rash?
Nov 21, 2012

Hi there! I performed oral sex on a man 6 weeks ago and I had a canker sore in my mouth. I did everything I could to protect the canker sore keeping his penis and fluid away from the sore. He was of unknown status. I asked him later bc I was stressing and he said he was clean. But a week after the potential exposure, my hands started to peel then a week or so later my feet peeled. I was wondering if this was from hiv. I have no rash and no serious flu like symptoms. Also the weather has been super dry since its winter. Am I okay?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Good job on being aware of the condition of your mouth. While I consider oral sex to be low-risk, it's things like canker sores, aggressive tooth brushing/flossing prior to oral sex, and other cuts/abrasions in the mouth that can increase the risk of HIV transmission from oral sex.

Based on the information presented, it's likely that transmission did not occur. You could certainly go in for an antibody test at 90 days if it would make you feel better. As for your hands and feet - i'm sure it's just dry skin.

In health,

Richard

Previous
SEX
Next
Please help! Testing guidelines question!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.